Lead Clinical Documentation Specialist
Arkansas Children’s Hospital
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
1. Department and Project Management
- Demonstrates an understanding of the operational and strategic linkage between one segment of the organization with other segments.
- Works with Director to implement and evaluate departmental goals and action plans which support the hospital mission, philosophy and strategic plan.
- Completes responsibilities in a timely manner through effective organization, setting priorities, delegation, and time management skills.
2. Technical Knowledge, Skill Level
- Works closely with coding staff and clinical documentation specialists to ensure CDI staff are assigning appropriate codes and CCs for SOI/ROM.
- Performs productivity and quality assessments of individual CDI Specialists on at least a monthly basis.
- Works with Coding Manager to maintain current coding updates, processes and educates CDI Specialists on these as they occur.
- Prepares and submits monthly CDI program status to the HIM Director.
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the MS-DRG/APR-DRG system, CCs/MCCs, and SOI/ROM impact on quality and case mix index for optimal benchmark and outcome data.
- Provides feedback, assists in coordinating and/or facilitating focused educational strategies regarding CDI program objectives and best practices for documentation improvement to CDI staff.
3. Human Resources Management
- Develops and maintains a staffing plan for the clinical documentation area.
- Assists with recruiting and interviews. Orients and trains qualified CDI staff in accordance with ACH policies and procedures.
- Assist Director with managing performance by assessing staff competency and providing constructive feedback on initial hire and on an ongoing basis and during annual performance appraisals.
- Evaluates needs, assigns and directs staff to prioritize and coordinate service responsibility on a day-to-day basis.
- Evaluates educational needs for areas of responsibility and works with and makes recommendations to Director regarding meeting those needs.
4. Fiscal Management and Resource Utilization
- Plans, develops, monitors, and assumes accountability for operating within the annual departmental and capital equipment budget for areas of responsibility.
- Monitors, reviews, justifies, and implements strategies to improve financial performance for assigned areas including expenses and productivity.
- Oversees the operations of clinical documentation program.
- Participates in the hiring, corrective action and annual performance review processes.
- Serves as a role model and mentor for assigned staff by consistently demonstrating professionalism.
- Assumes responsibility for professional development and integration of acquired knowledge and skills into practice.
Required – 4 years total experience required, which includes 2 years of clinical documentation experience experience, which includes 2 years of Clinical Nursing experience
Required – RN License (AR or Compact State) (Candidate must possesss at time of hire)
Required – Certified Documentation Improvement Practitioner (CDIP) (Certification)or Certified Clinical Documentation Specialist (CCDS) (Certification) (needed within 2 years of hire date)
1 years Supervisory or Lead experience preferred
National Coding Certification
Required – Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university – Field of Study: Nursing
Apply Online: http://www.archildrens.org