Mentor in the ArHIMA Mentor Program
Qualifications (meets one of the following)
- Health Information Profession with an AHIMA credential.
- Currently working in the Healthcare Industries.
- AHIMA credential professional who has retired from workforce within last 7 years.
Role of the Mentor
- Establish mutually agreed upon method and frequency of communication.
- Discuss the goals, objectives, and expectations with mentee.
- Discuss setting up a one-time face-to-face meeting, unless prohibited by time and distance.
- Promptly inform mentee when email, telephone number or contact information changes.
- Respond to communication from mentee within 5 days unless different response time has been established.
- Encourage work/student life balance.
- Communicate with mentee at least monthly.
- Share with mentee professional growth information, such as articles, seminars/workshops, other education opportunities relevant to the mentee’s interest.
- Inform mentee if you will be unavailable, ex. on vacation, out of the country, etc. and unable to respond within 5 days.
- Maintain positive, courtesy, and professional demeanor in all interactions.
- For face-to-face (includes virtual), meetings present yourself in a professional manner.